Rapp Chevrolet was founded by Alfred Rapp on September 9, 1932. In September of 1922 Al, came to Marion driving his 1920 Chevrolet "490" Touring car & took a mechanics job with The Hieb Brothers Ford Dealership. Al worked for the Hieb brothers until 1927 when he opened his own garage & used car dealership in what was known as the Marion Garage Building. A 10 year old brick building now the home of Wieman Land & Auction Company located at 208 North Broadway Ave, Marion, SD. In 1928 Al moved to his own building just north of the Rented Marion Garage. On September 9, 1932 Al acquired the Chevrolet franchise and became the third Chevrolet dealer to service the Marion area. Louis Vogeland was Marion's first Chevrolet dealer and served the community until 1928. J.J. Tieszen was Marions second Chevrolet dealer and served the Marion community until September of 1932. In the fall of 1935 Al purchased the larger brick & tile building (current location of the Marion Fire Department) from Fred Way, the local Dodge dealer. Al operated his Chevrolet dealership in that location until the end of 1963, when he retired and his son Glen Rapp took over the business.
In 1964 Glen purchased the building across the street at 405 North Broadway Avenue and remodeled it to serve as a new car showroom. Glen operated the dealership in those two locations until September of 1970 when Rapp Chevrolet moved to its present location at 700 South Broadway Avenue in Marion.